Men's Career Development Program Goals & Mission Statement
The purpose of the Career Development Center is to help end the cycles of homelessness and poverty through long term employment.
- G.E.D. Training
- Computer Literacy
- Educational Guidance
- Job Training
- Career Counseling
- Job Advocacy
Our hope is that we can teach these men how to "fish" instead of how to "just receive". Instilling in them life-long skills that will allow them to support themselves and their families.
How does the Career Development Program work?
- Students entering Learning Center are tested and evaluated, and appropriate goals are set to meet their educational needs.
- Students must complete Learning Center and Work Therapy goals before starting Career Development. Each student is evaluated for proficiency in reading, writing, English and math, and given remedial lessons.
- Students needing GED's are assisted in preparing for the GED test.
- Students become computer-literate before entering a career path.
- Career Development goals must be met before entering career path. From the time students enter Career Development Center, students are evaluated for career enhancement, and given skills to increase their pay rate, or referred to colleges or trade schools.
- Students meeting Career Development goals are guided to "living wage" employers ($9.00 minimum). Hours are arranged by instructor.